Editor’s note: This month’s Business Beacon is a spotlight on 30A Beachy Buggy, a fun and stylish alternative to golf carts for scooting around our beach communities. Owner Joy Harrison talks to us about Moke rentals, self-guided food tours and scavenger hunts to add a new experience to your next vacation. Check them out on their website or on Instagram.
Do you have an interesting topic you think we should cover? Leave a comment below!
1. How did you get the idea or concept for your business?
JH: Initially, I just wanted to buy a Moke for myself, but I got laid off from my long-time career during COVID, so I decided to buy a bunch of Mokes and rent them out in Destin and on 30A!
2. Let’s discuss numbers: What year did you open? How many locations do you have? How many people do you employ?
JH: 2021, one location and I run it along with my husband and two as-needed mechanics.
3. What do you sell or what service do you provide? What’s your best seller?
JH: Moke and golf cart rentals and self-guided food tours and scavenger hunts.
4. What’s unique about what you do or offer?
JH: We’re the only rental company with a Moke for rent. We’re the only 30A foodie tour and scavenger hunt by golf cart.
5. How would you describe your business to a potential customer?
JH: We’re a small family-run business that thrives on great customer service and beautiful carts for rent. We offer excellent tours for people who just want to visit for the day or have something fun to do that takes them all around 30A.
6. What do you love most about your line of work?
JH: Being my own boss and dealing with awesome customers who return and become friends.
7. What sorts of trends are you seeing in your industry?
JH: So many new golf cart companies are coming in and shutting down because there are already so many. Summers are great but expenses are year-round for the companies and that plays a major role in the success or failure.
8. Tell me in just a sentence or two what you feel sets you apart from your competitors.
JH: When you book with us, you’re dealing with me and my husband only. I stay on-call and available for customers 24/7 and also give recommendations for all sorts of things around town like best restaurants and live music.
9. Who or what inspires you? This could be a family member or celebrity, a particular quote or even a book/movie/podcast. The sky’s the limit!
JH: You can keep saying “one day” or today can be “day one.”
10. What’s the best thing about being a part of the Emerald Coast, personally and/or professionally?
JH: The best part is living by the most beautiful beaches in the country. Professionally, there are so many opportunities for entrepreneurs to thrive on.
11. Are you/your business involved in the community in any way? Volunteering or giving back? If so, how?
JH: We do a lot of small acts of kindness that we like to keep between us and the man upstairs.
12. What does a typical day in your business look like? (Pretend it’s Monday (or Friday!) and take me through the highlights of your day.)
JH: We wash carts, hook up a trailer to the truck and deliver them! I answer calls, texts and emails all day and coordinate anything that needs to be done.
13. What’s your best “insider tip?” (This could be a community tip for vacationers or homeowners or even a tip for customers related to your business.)
JH: Tip for vacationers: Don’t try to plan a bunch of stuff on your vacation. Come enjoy the beach with your family and friends and relax. That’s what it’s all about.
14. How do you recharge or relax when the day is done?
JH: We love to spend time with our little girl (3), our dog and other family as much as possible. We like to cook and listen to music, and overall just enjoy the beach life, as well as our little neighborhood community. Sunsets here are incredible so we love winding down and catching it every night.
15. Just the deets, please! Where are you located? Business hours? Social media profiles and/or website links we need to know about? (Please feel free to add social media handles or direct links!)
JH: Our hours are anytime I’m awake! We’re located in Santa Rosa Beach. (Check them out on their website or on Instagram.)
16. One final question: If there was just one thing you wish the public knew about your business, what would it be?
JH: We genuinely care about people and pride ourselves on the relationships we build.