Editor’s note: This month’s Business Beacon is a spotlight on Closets By Caroline, a unique spin on closet organization and personal shopping. Owner Caroline Ambrose talks to us about how she transforms chaotic closets into coordinated ones.
Do you have an interesting topic you think we should cover? Leave a comment below!
1. How did you get the idea or concept for your business?
CA: I got the idea for my business from my background in wholesale buying and also working retail on 30A for the past six years. My degree is in fashion merchandising and I’ve always loved all things fashion.
2. Let’s discuss numbers: What year did you open? How many locations do you have? How many people do you employ?
CA: I launched Closets by Caroline on September 23, 2021. Our home is my headquarters and I am a one-woman show … with the help of my husband and dog, of course!
3. What do you sell or what service do you provide? What’s your best seller?
CA: I provide closet refreshes AKA organization, where I not only make the person’s closet the most functional that it can be, but I also pull clothes, shoes and jewelry that are out of style or look too worn and then I discuss with my client if they’re willing to donate those items. I also help them style items in their closet that they already have and then shop for them based on where their needs lie.
4. What’s unique about what you do or offer?
CA: Closets by Caroline is unique in the sense that each client gets a one-on-one experience that is completely tailored to their specific needs.
5. How would you describe your business to a potential customer?
CA: Feeling overwhelmed by a chaotic closet? Call me! Want to know what’s out of style? Call me! Want me to style pieces you currently have? Call me! Want me to shop for you (any and all budgets)? Call me!
6. What do you love most about your line of work?
CA: The people I meet and the confidence I see on their faces when I’ve styled them and decluttered their closets.
7. What sorts of trends are you seeing in your industry?
CA: People are so busy that they don’t have time to shop and they love having someone do it for them.
8. Tell me in just a sentence or two what you feel sets you apart from your competitors.
CA: Closets by Caroline is my passion project that helps people feel more organized and more confident. I love people and I love what I do and that is evident when a client meets me.
9. Who or what inspires you? This could be a family member or celebrity, a particular quote or even a book/movie/podcast. This sky’s the limit!
CA: My mom! She has the best style, is super organized and we love to shop together.
10. What’s the best thing about being a part of the Emerald Coast, personally and/or professionally?
CA: Everything! The people, there’s always something to do and it’s where I met my husband on a blind date!
11. Are you/your business involved in the community in any way? Volunteering or giving back? If so, how?
CA: I volunteer with my husband, sister-in-law and brother-in-law at Westonwood Ranch every Sunday. We have done this for almost a year and it is my happy place.
12. What does a typical day in your business look like? (Pretend it’s Monday (or Friday!) and take me through the highlights of your day.)
CA: I start my morning with a client (I’m an early bird) and then I use the afternoon to do back-office stuff or shop for those customers! No two days are the same and I love that.
13. What’s your best “insider tip?” (This could be a community tip for vacationers or homeowners or even a tip for customers related to your business.)
CA: Never be embarrassed for me to see your closet/what you own.
14. How do you recharge or relax when the day is done?
CA: I love to cook dinner for my husband and then we talk about our days and watch some sort of trashy reality show.
15. Just the deets, please! Where are you located? Business hours? Social media profiles and/or website links we need to know about? (Please feel free to add social media handles or direct links!)
CA: My house in Point Washington. I’m always on my phone! Instagram: @closets.by.caroline I’m working on my Facebook and website.
16. One final question: If there was just one thing you wish the public knew about your business, what would it be?
CA: Closets by Caroline is all about making you feel your best!