Editor’s note: This month’s Business Beacon is a spotlight on Swell Bike Co., a supplier of rental bikes that require no chains, have no flats and are low-maintenance. Brand ambassador Lori Grey talks to us about low-maintenance wheels that allow you to see the Emerald Coast is a whole new way. Find them on Facebook and Instagram.
Do you have an interesting topic you think we should cover? Leave a comment below!
1. How did you get the idea or concept for your business?
LG: Our bikes are specifically designed for the bike, rental and vacation property rental application. We saw a need for low-maintenance bikes that were long-lasting. Most bikes rust out, the chains fall off or get stuck or the tires go flat. You don’t have any of those problems with a Swell Bike! So, we saw a problem and we’re providing a solution.
2. Let’s discuss numbers: What year did you open? How many locations do you have? How many people do you employ?
LG: We’re relatively new to the market, although we have been creating, designing and testing our product for several years. Currently, we employ less than 10.
3. What do you sell or what service do you provide? What’s your best seller?
LG: We sell branded or unbranded bikes to vacation, rental companies and bike rental companies that are much more efficient than their current bikes.
4. What’s unique about what you do or offer?
LG: No chains, no flats, and low-maintenance bikes that are rust-resistant and can be branded to a company so they have little rolling billboards running around town!
5. How would you describe your business to a potential customer?
LG: If you provide or rent bikes, we have a better solution than your current inventory of bikes. Our bikes require maintenance only every six months, are resistant to rust, have no chains, no flats and can be branded to your company.
6. What do you love most about your line of work?
LG: I love solving this problem for people. I’m truly in love with the product and really enjoy seeing the branded bikes.
7. What sorts of trends are you seeing in your industry?
LG: We are the trend! Said very humbly 🙂
8. Tell me in just a sentence or two what you feel sets you apart from your competitors.
LG: No flats, no chains, local, and low-maintenance bikes.
9. Who or what inspires you? This could be a family member or celebrity, a particular quote or even a book/movie/podcast. The sky’s the limit!
LG: There are so many! I listen to an app called Pep Talk every day. Kobe Bryant would have to be the person who inspires me the most. You might have better skills than me, but you won’t outwork me.
10. What’s the best thing about being a part of the Emerald Coast, personally and/or professionally?
LG: I would say the people and the water. I used to live here 24 years ago and I made the mistake of moving to Denver. It actually wasn’t a mistake, but I always wanted to come home. So four years ago, I sold everything and moved back to the Emerald Coast. Wouldn’t change a thing.
11. Are you/your business involved in the community in any way? Volunteering or giving back? If so, how?
LG: Not yet! But we’re working on it. I do personally help with Road Dogg Rescue, a great organization. If you’re looking for a dog or a pup — please adopt, don’t shop!
12. What does a typical day in your business look like? (Pretend it’s Monday (or Friday!) and take me through the highlights of your day.)
LG: Typical day for me is spent on social media, in email and on calls, and then I get to go out and actually visit with people. I get to see our beautiful Emerald Coast and the people who make it sing. All the while, presenting a wonderful solution to a pesky problem with our amazing bikes.
13. What’s your best “insider tip?” (This could be a community tip for vacationers or homeowners or even a tip for customers related to your business.)
LG: Get out of bed! Mornings on the Emerald Coast are fantastic. Hop on your bike (obviously, we prefer a Swell Bike) and get out in the sunshine before everyone else. It does amazing things for your mind and brings a smile to your face.
14. How do you recharge or relax when the day is done?
LG: It’s either walking the dogs, riding the bike, or pickleball! I’m not exactly a good relaxer. 🙂
15. Just the deets, please! Where are you located? Business hours? Social media profiles and/or website links we need to know about? (Please feel free to add social media handles or direct links!)
LG: Visit swellbikeco.com for more information. We are located on Main Street in Destin. Find Swell Bike Co. on Facebook and Instagram.
16. One final question: If there was just one thing you wish the public knew about your business, what would it be?
LG: That we are your local solution for bicycles with no chains and no flats. Swell bikes are low-maintenance, rust-resistant and specifically designed for property management companies.